|International Program Safety and Security Specialist|
|MCC cover all basic needs (Travel expenses to and from assignment, food & household, housing, and transportation related to assignment). Personal Allowance, vacation allowance, Education for children, Retirement Plan, Life Insurance and Death Benefits, Student Loan reimbursement, Resettlement Allowance, End-of-term benefits.|
|Amman, Jordan (Negotiable)|
|This position will be based in a major Middle Eastern city where MCC has an office (to be determined).|
|Apr 12, 2021|
|Jun 06, 2021|
|Yes, due to Covid-19 and travel restrictions|
All MCC workers are expected to exhibit a commitment to: a personal Christian faith and discipleship; active participation in a Christian church or Christian community; and nonviolent peacemaking. MCC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to employment equity. MCC values diversity and invites all qualified candidates to apply.
- Experience following the Biblical call to be a peacemaker by seeking and promoting nonviolent solutions to conflict and oppression.
- Experience with safety and security management; experience of at least 1 year experience in insecure environments preferred.
- Ability to develop and apply security framework in a wide variety of situations and cultures.
- Experience in gathering information, analyzing, and writing reports.
- Experience in facilitating trainings.
- Excellent interpersonal skills along with ability to inspire a shared vision of security with country programs and across the MCC system in general.
- Proven intercultural competence
- Proactivity, with a cooperative and collaborative approach
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Ability to cope with stressful situations and frustrations.
- Creativity and the ability to work with available resources.
- Ability to work as part of a team and good sense of humor.
- Experience in compliance issues around sanctions and counter-terrorisms measures is an asset.
- Fluent in English- required. Preferred: Other Language Fluency in Arabic or Spanish
Invitations to serve with MCC are contingent on the successful outcome of criminal background check(s).
The Safety and Security Specialist supports a culture of peace and security with a vision towards right relationships. This fits with our identity statement: Mennonite Central Committee (MCC), a worldwide ministry of Anabaptist churches, shares God’s love and compassion for all in the name of Christ by responding to basic human needs and working for peace and justice. MCC envisions communities worldwide in right relationship with God, one another and creation.
The work of security cannot be separated from our theological commitments. It is our faith that calls us to places around the world to serve in the name of Christ. Our values state that we seek to live and serve nonviolently in response to the biblical call to peace and justice. Our commitment to nonviolent action for justice and peace is rooted above all in God’s plan of shalom (peace) for all of creation, a peace most fully and definitely expressed in the teachings and life of Jesus.
Situations of (in)security are complex and MCC works to navigate each complexity while remaining true to its values, rooted in peace and justice. The Safety and Security Specialist will be expected to realize this work while holding MCC’s theology, values and vision central. (Excerpts from the Values section of MCC’s Principles and Practices document.)
This is a part time position (FTE:0.5). The other half time will bring together other duties depending on the education, experience and interest of the successful applicant and the needs of the country program where the person will be placed. Suggestions for other parts of the FTE include:
• Compliance to sanctions and counter-terrorisms measures
• Mental Health and Trauma Response
• Peacebuilding, Restorative Justice and/or Conflict Transformation
• Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation
The position is open to be filled by an international Service Worker or National staff.
Spouses of married candidates are expected to apply to MCC as well. They need to apply to the same position using their own Email address at the registration stage. If invited, MCC will work with the spouse on creating a position that fits with their skills and gifts as well as MCC’s country program priorities.
|Extreme Heat; High levels of pollution; Security issues; Occasional evening and weekend work; Local area not supportive to LGTBQ+ persons|
|Work in conjunction with the Security Standing Committee and MCC Human Resources to resource staff security and safety procedures and training across MCC International Program:
• Research best practice and current trends in security to make recommendations about MCC appropriate needs-based security training and available resources.
• Monitor and give guidance and recommendations to MCC Security Manual
• Review the current security situation across the system & propose steps to strengthen MCC’s approach to security.
• In high-risk contexts, work with country teams on building team response to events through orientation and training.
• Give guidance in security crisis responses including joining the Crisis Response Team as needed.
• Advise MCC country programs on improving safety and security in offices, homes, vehicles, and travel.
• Review and advise on communication protocol with staff and others within MCC, in addition to outside security organizations (if applicable), and other stakeholders for country programs.
• Track and report incidents; communicate security concerns and trends to Security SC and HR.
• Maintain a monthly security newsletter that provides security awareness and tips for the wider organization.
• Design and deliver safety and security training to MCC teams.
• Share expertise with MCCC and MCC U.S. for national, regional and provincial programs and with like-minded Anabaptist organizations (CIM)
This is a new position for MCC which will be predominately supervised by Area Directors for Europe and Middle East and partially by chairperson of the Security Standing Committee.
The employee must follow MCC’s confidentially guidelines.