All MCC workers are expected to exhibit a commitment to: a personal Christian faith and discipleship; active participation in a Christian church or Christian community; and nonviolent peacemaking. MCC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to employment equity. MCC values diversity and invites all qualified candidates to apply.Education:
- Relevant Bachelor's Degree (e.g. social work, social sciences, education, legal studies etc.).
- Specialized training and/or experience in refugee claim processes and procedures.
- At least 2 years of demonstrated experience working with refugees/claimants directly or 2 years’ experience in related programs dealing with issues of forced migration. Experience, skills, and knowledge of post-refugee claim work and knowledge of the Immigration and Refugee Board are essential.
- Experience in multi-tasking, working independently, working under pressure and meeting deadlines.
- Must be able to function independently and to exercise discretion and judgment in sensitive situations with potentially negative outcomes and with a highly diverse group of individuals and communities.
- Fluency in English and Spanish. Fluency in one additional language (particularly French, Farsi) would be a benefit.
- Ability to interpret and translate Spanish documents.
- Ability to articulate the biblical foundation of MCC's refugee work from a Christian faith perspective.
- Good understanding of immigration and refugee issues and policies
- Good interpersonal skills; excellent boundaries and self-care.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to listen well and to provide advice/counsel within set parameters
- A professional approach in respect to the diversity of the people served.
- Valid Driver's License and an acceptable driving record.
- Competency in using standard computer software (Microsoft Office Suite, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access, internet, etc.),
- Satisfactory criminal record check.