|Program Director - MCC BC|
|Standard MCC Benefit Package applies, including Extended Health/Dental/Vision; Life Insurance, AD&D, 5% RRSP match.|
|Jul 30, 2020|
|Sep 02, 2020|
|until a suitable candidate is identified|
All MCC workers are expected to exhibit a commitment to: a personal Christian faith and discipleship; active participation in a Christian church or Christian community; and nonviolent peacemaking. MCC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to employment equity. MCC values diversity and invites all qualified candidates to apply.
- Solid understanding and support for the vision, purpose, beliefs and values of MCC.
- Understanding of the MCC constituency with the ability to network and build relations with constituent churches and donors.
- 5 years of experience in social services or economic development sectors, or other experience that provides transferable skills.
- 5 years of experience in a management role, preferably at a senior level in a non-profit social service or economic development environment.
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field such as social work, economics, or business; a graduate (Master's) level education in a related field is preferred.
- Extensive understanding of poverty and issues of social marginalization, including its systemic causes and related solutions, and a heart for marginalized people.
- Experience and knowledge related to best practices in social services and community development, including skills in social policy research, needs assessments, feasibility studies, program design, planning, monitoring and evaluation.
- Solid understanding of the Biblical call to respond to human needs and the Anabaptist commitment to peace and justice, along with the ability to articulate it persuasively.
- Strong communications skills as effective public speaker, writing skills for reports and stories, and a humble listener of those being engaged.
- Effective strategic planner, pro-active problem solver, flexible and open to change.
- Entrepreneurial attitude and a creative innovator at a practical level that adds value.
- Excellent inter-personal skills in a collaborative and diverse team environment where leadership is most effective through collegial influence rather than formal authority.
- Ability to appreciate and work effectively in the MCC corporate culture.
- Understanding and commitment to equity/diversity in the workplace and programs.
- Approachable, humble, patient, open to criticism, good sense of humor.
- Comfortable using a variety of standard software programs.
- Satisfactory criminal record check related to providing services to vulnerable people.
|Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) is a Christian faith based agency that provides relief, development, and peacebuilding initiatives in over 50 countries. MCC British Columbia supports the international work of MCC by generating funds, personnel, and material aid, as well as operating local programs that address poverty here in BC.
The Program Director provides leadership and support to MCC BC program staff and ensures that all programs are focused on approved strategic priorities, annual plans and budgets, and are in compliance with regulatory requirements as well as MCC values, principles and policies.
MCC BC programs serve in areas related to abuse prevention and response, indigenous relations, refugee assistance, homelessness, child poverty, sustainable livelihoods, restorative justice and voluntary service with a combined annual budget of over $1.2 million and 9 staff.
The Program Director is based in Abbotsford and reports to the Executive Director. As a member of the leadership team the Program Director collaborates on setting organizational wide strategic directions and policies, and has the lead role in developing the proposed strategies and priorities for programs in BC.
|Occasional evening and weekend work; Occasional long days; Work requires healthy boundaries; Complex-needs population|
• Be available to attend board meetings as a resource to the Executive Director and prepare reports and recommendations on issues related to areas of responsibility.
• Collaborate with the Executive Director and leadership team in the development of policies, priorities and strategic plans for the organization.
• Provide leadership, support and supervision to staff working in local programs ensuring the following:
• Annual plans and budgets are developed for approval and that program activity is carried out within the approved plans, budgets and MCC policy.
• Staff are hired, screened, supervised, supported and evaluated according to MCC human resource policy and program needs.
• Opportunities for new program initiatives are explored as able and ongoing programs are evaluated periodically with the program review criteria.
• Risk related to program activity is identified and an approach to risk management is developed and reported to the Executive Director, as needed.
• Collaborate with the Advancement Director in finding opportunities to mobilize support and resources for MCC ministry and to foster church partnerships and volunteerism with program.
• Cultivate relationships with church leaders to explore possible program partnerships that are in keeping with the vision of the church and the purpose, beliefs and values of MCC.
• Develop presentations and speak in churches, colleges and community settings on themes related to MCC ministry and the biblical basis for MCC's vision and purpose.
• Collaborate in writing stories and reports for news releases, website and MCC publications and the development of video productions related to areas of responsibility.
• Identify and secure outside funders (such as foundations and government agencies) for local operations.
• Participate in staff meetings and on occasion take the lead for spiritual reflection at staff meetings based on MCC mission, beliefs and values.
• Carry out additional projects as reasonably requested by the Executive Director.
• Identify insurance needs for ongoing and new program activity and reviewed annually with the Director of Finance and Administration and Executive Director.
• Collaborate with the Program Director network in the development of common strategies, approaches, operating principles and tools for program management.
• Remain current with socio-economic trends effecting uprooted and vulnerable populations, best practices in program manaqement and services to populations in need, and regulatory issues relating to program delivery.
• Ensure communication on educational and advocacy issues is in keeping with approved program plans and policy related to external communications and that specific issues are reviewed with the Executive Director for approval.
1. Reports to the Executive Director and is a member of the Leadership Team.
2. Frequent and extensive contact with Executive Director, MCC BC leadership team and counterpart Program Directors in other MCC's.
3. Periodic contact with the MCC BC Board and related board committees.
4. Regular contact with church leaders, constituents and volunteers.
1. Lead and supervise program coordinators, staff and volunteers serving in the area of programs.
2. Develop the capacity of the programs, including the identification of ongoing staffing needs, hiring, training, supporting and evaluating staff.
3. Provide expertise and support to staff and other departments, as needed.
1. Requires regular interaction with department staff, management team, and counterparts in MCC to develop, interpret, implement, and maintain policies and procedures.
2. Responsible for problem-solving, strategic planning, operational planning, and budgeting for program.
3. Provides analysis of opportunities and risks related to programs, including the identification of trends and potential responses.
4. Identifies salient operating issues and broader strategic issues for coordination and consideration of Executive Director and leadership team.
The Program Director exercises proactive leadership with the ability to define roles and take action that are in alignment with approved budgets and plans. Has authority to approve the hiring of staff and the purchase of supplies and equipment within approved budgets and processes, and to proactively bring forward recommendations for items outside of the approved budgets and plans.
• Programs that align with the vision and purpose of MCC, engage the constituency and makes a measurable difference in the lives of the people we serve.
Working conditions are mainly in an office environment with a variety of duties which include working on a computer, attending meetings and talking on the phone. Work is fast paced with ongoing deadlines and the expectation that programs, thrift and human resources will achieve projected results in accord with plans, budgets and policies.
Program needs and vision is greater than the resources available, the challenge is to augment MCC resources with earned income and grants, as well as to create ways for volunteer involvement and partnership with churches to increase constituency engagement and resource generation.
Program needs and vision is greater than the resources available, the challenge is to augment MCC resources with earned income and grants, as well as to create ways for volunteer involvement and partnership with churches to align with our strategy and increase constituency engagement and resource generation. There is an ongoing need to be results oriented and to capture good quantitative and qualitative indicators that reflect the value of our work and to help shape priorities.