|Cashier/Merchandiser/Receiver - Fort St. John MCC Thrift Shop|
|Standard Benefit Package applies including extended health/dental, long-term disability insurance, life insurance, AD&D, 5% RRSP matching|
|The Fort St. John area (18,000 people) is considered to be the oil and gas centre for B.C. Due to the demand for high-paying work, it has become a transient city with a very young demographic compared to other areas in B.C. The winters provide lots of snow, and temperatures that can approach on -30 Centigrade at times.|
|Jan 28, 2020|
|Feb 03, 2020|
|until a suitable candidate is found|
All MCC workers are expected to exhibit a commitment to: a personal Christian faith and discipleship; active participation in a Christian church or Christian community; and nonviolent peacemaking. MCC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to employment equity. MCC values diversity and invites all qualified candidates to apply.Qualifications:
- Customer service/sales experience is an asset.
- Self-motivated; able to work independently, willing to take initiative, while at the same time responding to the leadership team priorities.
- Strong interpersonal skills, willing and able to work with a variety of people; friendly, outgoing and appreciative of volunteers.
- Team player; ability to work positively alongside a diversity of volunteers, willingness to contribute ideas, willingness to cooperate and support manager and team in assigned tasks.
- Aptitude for numbers and operating sales equipment (cash register, credit card machines)
- Strong organizational ability that allows one to effectively multi-task and remain on task within a fast-paced environment.
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English, including pleasant and professional phone manner
- Commitment to wearing proper work gloves when required.
- Ability to reflect and express Anabaptist beliefs and the value of service.
- Ability to articulate MCC’s beliefs, mission and purpose to customers and donors.
- Ability to contribute to the development of a positive culture based on Christian beliefs and values.
- Satisfactory criminal record clearance.
- Heart for social justice, peacemaking and global understanding.
|The Fort St. John MCC Thrift Shop is actively engaged in receiving and selling used clothing, small furniture, housewares, books, toys, jewellery and collectibles with all proceeds designated to support the relief, development, social justice and peace work of Mennonite Central Committee globally and locally. This assignment involves providing support to the front end (cashiering), retail floor operations and processing of donations at the Shop. This position requires living out your faith by serving others and advancing the mission of MCC as one relates to volunteers, customers, staff and donors.
This position reports to the Shop Manager
This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position with flexibility to work 5 days/week between Monday and Saturday. Only those candidates who are legally eligible to work in Canada should apply.
|Complex-needs population; Physically demanding work|
|• Primarily focus on assisting customers at the cash desk, sales floor and answering the phone when there is no volunteer coverage
• Pre-sort donations from receiving into categories while assessing quality and disposing of recycling or non-saleable goods.
• Maintain tidiness and organization in the work area.
• Assist in maintaining creative floor displays (including attention to floor layout, seasonal themes / special features, creative signage, etc.
• Assist with sorting and tagging of incoming donations, particularly incoming clothing and household items.
• Assist with monitoring products as appropriately priced according to shop's pricing policy, consulting with manager, as necessary.
• Helping with the planning and implementation of sales events, as well as staff and volunteer related appreciation events.
• Abide by WHIMIS standards within all job responsibilities.
• Answer inquiries about MCC’s beliefs and values from volunteers, constituency who support MCC and the general public.
• Assist in resolving any conflicts arising with customers or volunteers in a manner that reflects respect, careful listening and peaceful resolution.
• Through networking, engaging the local community church to become actively involved in the work of MCC.
• Maintain a high level of integrity, reflecting Christian respect and Christ's unconditional love to those we serve, including the staff, volunteers and customers.
• Contribute to the shaping of a positive workplace culture based on Christian beliefs and values.
• Participate in biblically based morning devotions/prayer time. Willingness to lead on a rotating basis.
• Perform other duties, as required.
The position requires working in a comfortable but fast-paced retail shop and requires spending a significant portion of time on one's feet. This position further requires the ability to constantly respond "positively" to the demands/requests from customers/donors. From time to time there is also the need to deal with drug-addicted and/or street-involved persons.
This position involves the constant handling of used goods and lifting/moving of objects of up to 50 lbs.