|ASO/MCC: Host(s) for Casa Emaús Guesthouse - Guatemala|
|SEMILLA -- the Latin American Anabaptist Seminary -- is an educational institution, founded in 1984, that facilitates biblical, theological, pastoral and peace education and training to Anabaptist / Mennonite churches and institutions, as well as other churches and Christian organizations. SEMILLA was founded with the mission of training men and women to faithfully follow Jesus Christ and participate in the mission of proclaiming the Kingdom of God in the current context. SEMILLA serves more than 600 Anabaptist-Mennonite faith communities in the Latin American context. Currently, there are more than 685 students in the various locations of SEMILLA in Latin America.
In addition to theological education, SEMILLA has other programs:
- CASAS (Central American Study and Service) offers Spanish language learning, experiences and studies on intercultural, religious, peace, and service themes, as well as reflection on history and current realities from a Latin American perspective. Each year CASAS receives an average of 250 students; most come from North America but other continents are also represented.
- The guest house, Casa Emaús, supports the mission of both SEMILLA and MCC by hosting students, professors, national and international friends who participate in the various educational programs of SEMILLA. It also provides lodging, food and other services for individuals or groups from churches, missionary agencies and other institutions that visit Guatemala for learning tours or other activities. Casa Emaús receives an average of 7,000 guests per year. The income generated helps provide scholarships to students studying in the theological programs of SEMILLA. It also helps to build bridges of relationship between people, organizations and communities from different countries and cultures.
Some possible challenges of this role are:
• High levels of environmental pollution, traffic, and urban chaos.
• Security issues: Guatemala City has a high level of violence and crime. Semilla is located in a very safe neighborhood, but the risk of violence is high throughout the city.
• Diversity of clients / guests of Casa Emaús is on the one hand a great strength of the guesthouse, but it can also be a challenge for hosts.
• Multiple lines of supervision (MCC, Semilla, Casa Emaús) could present a challenge.
SEMILLA, and Casa Emaús, are located in 26 Calle 15-56 zona 11, Colonia Las Charcas, Guatemala City.
|Jan 07, 2019|
|Prefer someone ASAP, but can flex start time -- even after Jan 2019|
|3-6 months (preference for 6 months)|
All MCC workers are expected to exhibit a commitment to: a personal Christian faith and discipleship; active membership or participation in a Christian church; and nonviolent peacemaking. MCC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to employment equity. MCC values diversity and invites all qualified candidates to apply.Anabaptist Service Opportunities Expectations: Living expenses (food, lodging, in-country transportation, etc.) are provided by MCC. The short term volunteer(s) would cover travel expenses to and from assignment, carry their own health insurance and provide a monthly contribution ($500 suggested donation). Applicants for this position must be legally eligible to be employed in the U.S.(Preference is for candidates age 55 and up.)
- Christian commitment, and commitment to the Mennonite Church and its institutions.
- Flexibility and grace to respond to needs of different people.
- Openness to working in a team and with different lines of supervision and accountability.
- Knowledge of Spanish and/or the desire to learn.
- Well organized, independent, and detail-oriented.
- Preference for candidates age 55 and up.
- Invitations to serve with MCC are contingent on the successful outcome of criminal background check(s)
|MCC and the Anabaptist Seminary of Latin America (or Seminario Anabautista Latinoamericano, SEMILLA), seek an individual or couple to work as hosts for SEMILLA’s guest house, Casa Emaús. Candidate(s) will facilitate the stay of national and international guests at Casa Emaús with an environment of hospitality, well-organized logistical support and orientation to the Anabaptist and Mennonite community in Guatemala. This position would report to both SEMILLA and MCC.|
|High levels of pollution; Limited dental care available; Security issues; Other; Occasional evening and weekend work; Occasional long days; Physically demanding work; Limited dietary options; Use of public transit required|
|1. Logistic Responsibilities:
a. Communication with guests before, during and after their stays
b. Facilitating airport pickups
c. Ensuring that rooms are clean and well-equipped and appropriate meals are arranged
d. Arrangement of other logistical details as necessary
2. Hosting Responsibilities:
a. Orienting guests to Casa Emaús, SEMILLA and CASAS.
b. Orienting guests to physical plant and policies of Casa Emaús
c. Provide emotional support and comfort, if necessary.
d. Serve as a representative of SEMILLA, CASAS, Casa Emaús and MCC with hospitality, warmth and love to visitors.
3. Other responsibilities
a. Participate in staff activities of SEMILLA / CASAS / Casa Emaús as a team member
b. Participate in MCC team activities
The supervision, reporting, and accountability for this position would be shared between the SEMILLA Dean and MCC Guatemala/El Salvador Co-Representatives. The work schedule is flexible and depends on the number, schedule, and length of stay of guests.
For more information on SEMILLA and Casa Emaús see: http://semilla.org.gt/